Remodelers love showing off their work. We definitely do, and photos are a great way. Our growing portfolio of photography is an important part of our business, giving visual evidence of our capability. Here’s a little secret though. We can renovate to the level of any photo you find. Yes, all Houzz and Pinterest renovations are doable. In fact, if you are considering a renovation, I’d encourage you to start with photos. Here are 7 reasons why.
- Photos are great for inspiration. Sometimes you don’t know what you want until you see it. Photos inspire so many great ideas, helping you narrow down the look and scope of your renovation.
- Photos are great for communication. You may understand what you want, but does your contractor? Using a picture could save you a thousand words. Never start a renovation until you’re certain your contractor shares your expectations.
- Photos are great for visualization. An architect or designer can use photos to create a plan unique to your living space, helping you and your contractor clearly visualize the outcome. A design literally puts you, the designer and contractor all “on the same page”.
- Photos are great for selections. Choosing paint colors, fixtures and flooring is easier when you see them in a photo of a completed renovation. Otherwise, you will start with an endless list of samples, which is tedious and trying. (*Note: Seeing samples are a good idea once you’ve narrowed down the options. A good interior designer will arrange this.)
- Photos are great for valuation. Pricing a project becomes a little more straightforward when you see what you’re purchasing. A picture helps a contractor identify all the necessary selections and specs, and thus price your renovation accordingly. Your goal should be to arrive at a fixed cost, before you start demo.
- Photos are great for evaluation. Not to be confused with #5, valuation. Having photos at the onset helps you evaluate at the end. They help you answer: Were my expectations met?
- Photos are great for emotion. Emotion obviously plays a big role in major purchases. You definitely want to be happy with the renovation you purchase. A photo gives you a small taste of what you will “feel” when your renovation is complete.