TRUST takes work.
It can't be built with passivity or indifference. And even though TRUST may feel uncertain at the start, there's no reason that feeling should continue. Trustworthy behavior doesn't take long to become apparent. Enduring TRUST isn’t blind TRUST. Here are 5 key building blocks for Building Trust.
- Honesty – Nothing builds TRUST more rapidly than speaking in a straightforward and truthful manner. Even major personality differences won't sabotage a relationship when transparency and factual communication prevail.
- Communication – Being super articulate isn’t necessary to foster TRUST through communication. Consistent communication is necessary though, even to the point of being uncomfortably repetitive. Speaking is only a small part of communication equation. Listening well is a higher priority. Simply paying attention leads to identifying and addressing faulty expectations before they undermine TRUST. And it’s vital to follow-up important conversations in writing.
- Competence – Being excellent and proficient at something will build TRUST. In the Bible there’s a proverb that says “A person’s gift makes room for him, And brings him before great people.” (Proverbs 18:16). In other words doing something really well creates such a high level of TRUST in your ability that you can't keep it a secret.
- Connection – Humans are wired with emotions. Emotion should be understood, but never manipulated. Honoring a person’s emotion shows a level of respect that is memorable. As Maya Angelou said, “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
- Commitment – All of these building blocks require repetition. At any moment trust can crumble if there’s no willingness to continue building. Someone once said TRUST is gained in drips but lost in buckets. In other words, the accumulation of TRUST is quickly lost by a single act of untrustworthiness.
Our team at Daniel Builders is serious about Building Trust. It’s much more than our tagline. It’s always on our mind. We realize entrusting your home to us is no small matter. Contact us at 864.5065546 to start a Design-Build renovation on a foundation of TRUST.